Before Purchase

General Discussion

Before Purchase

Postby Mavick » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:56 pm

I have a few questions about the board prior to purchase.

On the compatibility list, is this just what has been tested? I can almost guarantee my ECU will never be listed. Haltech Elite 2500 ECU. My goal is to use my Pi to make a custom set of readouts fully designable by myself. IE mimic car's actual gauge as well as a secondary monitor to monitor data that normally isn't looked at by the general user. Manifold pressure, flex fuel content, Ignition advance, knock detection, etc.

I guess I'm just confused as to what this does compared to other CAN-Bus devices available for the Pi. Any help understanding that would be great.
Mavick

Re: Before Purchase

Postby PAOLOPED » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:30 pm

Hello,
- to answer you firt question: the compatibilisty list refers to the codes: all the compatibilities listed refer to the codes inserted and correctly tested but not all of them by Carberry board.

- for the second question: Carberry is a generical tool, so you have to know the communication protocol compatible with your own ECU.

- for the third question: Carberry works with all protocols and car interfaces, other devices work instead only if the vehicle is CAN-Bus protocol one.

Best regards.
PAOLOPED

Postby redheadedrod » Wed May 04, 2016 5:58 pm

Thought instead of creating a new thread i would just tack onto the end of this one.

I am looking at purchasing the CarBerry and have a couple of questions which I am sure can help others.

What current tools work with the CarBerry setup or do we pretty much have to "roll our own" ?
(IE pyODB, socketCAN etc)

I wish to isolate modules to identify what they are actually putting out onto the bus so can I use the CarBerry as a bridge but allow the Raspberry Pi to process every command before it is sent from one side to the other?

I will likely just want to log each side so I can synchronize the data but may want to inject new data or modify the data that is being sent between. Is this possible with Carberry?

I will be using a Raspberry Pi 2b initially.
redheadedrod

Postby PAOLOPED » Fri May 06, 2016 3:38 pm

Hello,
you have to connect by Carberry socket, not by IE pyODB, socketCAN etc...: please go to this address: 127.0.0.1:7070

For you two following questions, yes, Carberry can support this kind of applications, but you have to write the related softwares.

Let me know,
at disposal,
best regards.
PAOLOPED

Postby redheadedrod » Sun May 08, 2016 6:19 pm

Placing one on order now with the wire setup as was suggested to me in email.

I am a computer science student that has experience in MANY different programming languages. I have an internship this summer doing work in ARM assembly language and spent last semester playing in MIPS assembly language.

I should probably ask this in email but it would be great to get whatever access I can get to the programming API, the Firmware source or whatever possible to get this moving. I am a new member on the Open Garages and can really help your product move in that market if it can be shown to do everything well.

I may be interested in making it more compatible with conventional tools. I will have support in the field to accomplish this.

While I think some of the stuff you are doing with it is cool there is also a potential big market in the cyber security field.
redheadedrod

Return to General Discussion