SocketCAN

Request a new feature for Carberry

SocketCAN

Postby scrambles » Tue Apr 05, 2016 1:28 pm

Are there any plans to integrate the Carberry with Socket CAN or any other suite of CAN tools?
scrambles

Re: SocketCAN

Postby PAOLOPED » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:35 am

Hello,
at the moment we've still not plan this.
I'm sorry,

best regards
PAOLOPED

Postby sharpedge » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:37 pm

+1 on this, it would be great for reverse engineering to be able to use wireshark
sharpedge

Postby redheadedrod » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:07 pm

SocketCAN would be the Linux standard connection used by MANY programs.
You are STRONGLY reducing the size of your potential market by not producing a product with support for SocketCAN.

I am an owner of a unit and it is pretty much useless as is and I will review it as such since everything has to be written from scratch.

With a "simple" changing of the system to a socketCan compatible system this product will sell MANY more units.

With the support for dual canbus and swcan I can assure you that building socketCan compatibility will DRASTCALLY increase your sales on this.

Not only can it be used as a diagnostic tool, but will INSTANTLY be compatible with the dozens of Linux software already available. Very few will want to make use of a more or less incompatible system.

It really wouldn't take much to make it socketCAN compatible and would be more than worth the effort even if the current utilities made for carberry have to be converted slightly.

If the source code is available online for the linux driver I could probably do it myself but would be much more useful coming from the makers of the unit.

There is currently NOTHING out there that has support for SWCAN that I am aware of and if Carberry isn't converted to be socketcan compatible someone else will create one that is and then any market for carberry dissolves...

So please update the firmware to support socketcan.

Rodney
redheadedrod

Postby PAOLOPED » Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:36 pm

Hello,

Yes, we know, but a SocketCAN support layer development require approximately one month of a programmer work. Our hope that someone else start Open Source project for this software and conseguently we can support him/them as we can.

thanks and best regards!
PAOLOPED

Postby redheadedrod » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:10 pm

I am a Programmer By hobby and completing my Degree to make it my Trade.

I have done many projects like this in the past and would be quite willing to help make this device fully socketCan compatible.

For me, your telling me it takes a month for a programmer to write the software I say bring it on. I am willing to build this system to bring socketCan compatibility to this device. I would do it for the experience and to be able to add to my resume.

Please take me seriously because I would love to accomplish this goal. I am currently working on projects in C# for my Capstone, Python for my AI class and have done much work in the past at school in C and Java. I learned C++ many years ago and am revisiting it. I have also helped to write an open source ARM disassembler using Python so I have the experience needed by far...

I have also programmed serial devices and made my own networking environments using hardware I have created myself.

SO like I said.. Bring it on... Will likely take me longer than a month but if I was given access to the information back when I originally asked about it I would already be done..

Rodney
redheadedrod

Postby PAOLOPED » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:12 pm

Dear Rodney,
we're excited for the work you intend to carry on the Carberry / socketCan and we will try to support you as much as possible.
As you know, for us it is vital to optimize resources so please be patient and we'll help when we can.
Thank you,

best regards.
PAOLOPED

Postby redheadedrod » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:15 am

I have the CB, 1 socket can device, 2 ELM/STN to USB devices, a device I am not sure of the protocol yet but is promising and a pre-release version of a new socketcan device based on an Arduino I will be helping to build drivers for. With these devices I will be building applications for research, learning, diagnostics and potentially customization of vehicles.

At the moment the CB would be at the end of my list of supported devices for any applications I build due to incompatibility with any standard protocols. At this point I guess I will have to wait and see what you guys do for future releases of the CB firmware. I suspect there is no interest in letting me get involved with the firmware at this point in time.

Would be nice if you guys could at least update the Wiki. Your really killing the potential of the device by not having the wiki fully populated with useful information regardless of anything else.

Rodney
redheadedrod

Postby PAOLOPED » Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:50 pm

Hi Rodney,
In your various mails, you complain that our WIKI is missing some information or details.
Could you please give me a list of exact and detailed questions so I can answer you specifically?
Our wiki is certainly incomplete, also because we are developing new projects and then updating it is a process we surely have to attend.
If you were so kind to let me know what things are missing or are unclear, we'll correct it and update it in the best way.

With regard to CAN socket, we are interested in this project, but you have to tell me exactly what you want.
Please let me know,

Best regards
PAOLOPED

Return to Request a Feature