Audi A1 MMI 3G into an Audi A2

Show your Carberry Project to the Community

Audi A1 MMI 3G into an Audi A2

Postby craigyb » Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:59 pm

I don't know if this is even feasible with the Carberry, but it's one of the only IO boards I've seen with dual can bus interfaces and a lot of other great features so I will give it a go.

Basically I'm trying to get an MMI 3G unit from and Audi A1 to work in my Audi A2. From what I understand the MMI 3G units connect to a can gateway module and this expects to see messages from 3 can buses,

1, drive train, no problem, this runs at 100khz like normal in the A2 so it should just connect to the can gateway. I think ABS pulses pass over this bus, so it should provide certain information required by the MMI 3G, I already use it to get ABS info to my RNS-E for displaying in the road speed on the RNS-E display.

2. Comfort bus, again no problem and probably not required for what I want to do.

3. Cluster bus, this is where my problem begins, the cluster bus runs at 500khz and the Audi A2 cluster runs at 100khz.

So could the Carberry sit between the two buses and send certain messages to the MMI 3G, such as lighting, ignition etc and also pass back messages such as radio station and possibly the navigation information to the A2 cluster.

I've ordered one from paser, so I can make a mock up when it arrives to give it a test at least for ignition and lighting.

Any input would be welcome

Craig
craigyb

Re: Audi A1 MMI 3G into an Audi A2

Postby admin » Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:02 pm

Hi Craig,
Your project seems a bit tricky and I'm sorry but I'm not the right person that could help you, I will inform another technician that will give you some tips about how to do that and if is possible.

PS: Consider that the difference between the canbus comfort of the A1 and the A2 is not only the speed but also the codes.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Audi A1 MMI 3G into an Audi A2

Postby craigyb » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:11 pm

Yeah I realise some translation may be required, maybe I've got the wrong idea about the carberrys facilities and I just bought it on impulse. But it's here now so I can have a play when I buy a Pi.
craigyb

Return to My Project